Colombo Sri Lanka geo blogging with Google Earth
It started off rather harmlessly – trying to create photographs of places for an early post – rather than just relying in links to other people’s images. From there it was a slippery slope (sorry that’s all the phrase-o-matic could come up with) to link online photographs taken around Colombo with satellite images from Google Earth and later Wikimapia. Personally Google Earth is a bit cumbersome to share images with. But I love its “tilt” feature what lets you crudely mimic an aerial photograph. Which I then save out as a jpg for this blog.
The first time I used the tilt thingi publicly was with the Barefoot cafe aerial shot post. I later found a post on Indi’s site linking to Barefoot’s Wikimapia location. Had stumbled across it a few weeks ago and found it worth while to register on Wikimapia and add my 2 cents worth (such lame duck sentences is a sign that the phrase-o-matic needs mere fuel. But the Colombo rains pervent me from finding dry firefood).
Lately been geoblogging Dominic Sansoni‘s Colombo pictures (as well as a few taken in the Maldives as well). After all he takes great pictures, travels around quite a bit and has offered some helpful directions.
Granted, the process I’ve mapped out for myself is rather time consuming
- Link to the photo’s blog page (not just the image) from my geoblogging page
- Create a Google Earth image and post it on this blog
- Link to the wikimapia page
- Link to the original photo page from wikimapia location
- Link to my Google Earth tilt image from the wikimapia location
- Post a comment on the original image’s page linking to
- the wikimapia location
- my Google Earth tilt image
Its going to be either a time eater or a nice little content engine. At least it covers one aspect of blogging: linking linking and more linking.
If it all falls apart at least I now know that WordPress lets you do nested linking.
Here’s the first go:
- Dominic’s Photo of the interior
- The Wikimapia location
- More images of St.Lucia’s Cathedral in Colombo