Confession and an apology (proof red in the face)
The wife spent a while scrolling through this blog yesterday and dug up a horrifying number of writing errors. Things that a spell check can’t catch. Some examples (from the Vil Uyana post):
The monster doesn’t seem to care about how lucky it its.
clutches of colourful saris from of those working in the resorts
Such things make my twitchy style of word vomiting even more annoying to read. Then there are those over used words that are stylistically annoying but are grammatically correct.
I’ve also stuffed up more than a few times on the proper spelling of names (as in the Pedlar’s Inn post). Thankfully there are readers who bother to point these things out. But I’m a rude host to keep bumbling on like this. If anyone takes the trouble to wade through my words I should be decent enough to make it easier.
So I’m sorry for all those rough spots in all the previous posts.
The big one is that I don’t give a high priority to blogging. Posts are pecked out in the odd scraps of time between other tasks. Lately I’ve been jotting them down on my PDA. It’s a good way to get the words out of the head but obviously bad for proofing. Then there’s the scramble to put together these jottings into a post where not much actual “proof” reading gets done. Even when I do read my own blog, I’m too familiar with the words that I’ve pecked out to spot the mistakes.
It’s all about trying to get the blog thing done in a middle of everything else (I’m trying to do keep it 14-15 posts a month) and it quite apparent that the result is a mess.
So VTDN (Vhut Tu Du Nau)?
I think the solution is to set aside time for blog proofing.
That means that a post would have to have a cooling off period between being written and “published”. And/or published posts would have to be reread and proofed later. Given the task load that I got, this will create some interesting prioritisation dilemmas. I hope such dilemmas will NOT require a session of “what does blogging mean to me” navel gazing.
Another idea is to run the text through a grammar check in something like M$ Word.
I have tried my best to proof this post and patched up many the holes in the Vil Uyana post. Used M$ Word and it did catch a few nasty ones in this post. WordPress.com has a handy “Paste from Word” button that cleans out extraneous formatting junk.
I don’t expect the process to work right away. Just caught a few misplaced words just now (despite reading this more than 5 times) . The hope is to develop the foundation of a good habit. Which of course requires patience, persistence and mindfulness.
Despite all the proclamations of proof reading, there must be a few stragglers. If you spot any please do shout a comment. That should keep me on my paws.
Its time to click the publish button and get to work.
Thank you for tolerating.