metblogs.com is a network of city-specific blogs. Each city is represented as a sub-domain within metblogs.com -such as berlin.metblogs.com, rio.metroblogs.com or karachi.metblogs.com etc. It is certainly just another blog aggregator. Currently there are 53 cities on the metblogs network. Getting Colombo (or any other Sri Lankan city) on this system seems to be a great way of generating international traffic for Sri Lankan blogs.
A few months ago I emailed a bunch of met bloggers to find out about their experiences with the site. Idea Smith of Mumbai, Chandrachoodan Gopalakrishnan of Chennai and Anita Bora of Bengaluru (more well known as Bangalore) were kind enough to respond. They were over reassuringly positive about their experience at the time.
As I told them all, I am NOT affiliated with metblogs.com, Bode Media (the company behind the whole metblogs) or any other associated entity. I’m certainly not being paid for this.
Getting Colombo listed will take a minimum of 10 initial bloggers. Just less than a cricket team. One will get the lordly title of the “captain of Colombo”. Essentially someone who “encourages” (or if needed prods) his/her fellow bloggers to post on a regular basis.
List of possible suspects that I think should blog on colombo.metroblogs.com:
- Dinidu de Alwis – Media Liaison Officer
- DeeCee – Blog titled “colombo rantings” should be enough to qualify 😉
- Jack Poiny- every court needs the wisdom of a jester
- Gutterflower- amazing what blooms 😉
- Cynicaly yours – to avoid believing in the hype
- webalochana – introducing Sinhala language bloging to the world.
- Nazreen for the cultural scene updates
- Dominic – Official photographer of the Sri Lankan blogsphere
- David Blacker – reluctant defence analyst
- Missing Sandwhich – prescription strength dosage of eyebrow raising posts
- paan-waati – Anthropologist
- Soixante Neuf – consultant on practical matters regarding The purfumed garden and the works of Mallanaga Vātsyāyana
Apologies to those I have not mentioned. Consider it a part of how out of touch I am. Hardly have time to read stuff online any more. With most of my writing happening on the go. Which is why I kept myself off the list. The time I have for my “online life” a towering house of cards. Another digital commitment will be the sneeze that knocks it all down.
Hope you feel interested to sign up. It would be wunderbah to add other Sri Lankan cities like Kandy, Jaffna, Galle etc. Got to start somewhere.